Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Works for Me Wednesday: Corelle

Its Wednesday and once again I want to join Shannon at Rocks in the Dryer for "Works for Me Wednesday." I know it might feel jarring to have household tips adjacent to discussions of war or politics but that's how life is. I love grappling with big ideas and current events but there's always the laundry to do and the thousand and one ordinary necessities of life.

Today, I want to talk dishes! I know that many people love stoneware for daily use but I find it heavy and awkward. I love Corelle! Thin, lightweight, durable. Here's how they do it:
Corelle glass dinnerware is made through a hub lamination process that thermally bonds three layers of glass: core glass in the middle, with top and bottom layers of very clear skin or glaze glass. The process creates a lightweight, durable, multi-layered product. In addition, the unique enamels used during the decorating process actually become part of the glass, so the patterns last as long as the plate.

Corelle was first introduced in 1970 and my family must have been among the first to buy it. One of my earliest memories is going to Sears with my father to buy a set. When we got back my little sister got hold of a bowl from her highchair and promptly threw it to the ground. As promised, the Corelle did not break! It made quite an impression on me; its one of my few memories from before my brother was born in 1971.

On my own after college, one of my first purchases was a set of sleek white Corelle dishes. I still use them today and my mom still has most of the pieces from that 1970s set (now a vintage pattern, good old snowflake blue.)

In addition to its durability, I think that my favorite feature is that I can reach into the dishwasher with one hand and pick up five plates simultaneously! Whoo-hoo! Anything that helps empty the dishwasher more quickly.

Now, Corelle comes in some amazing new patterns and even a thicker style and a stoneware version too! Not to mention funky square plates! But I still love the original Livingware. Although I am tempted to add a new pattern to mix in with my white plates.

Lightweight, durable, pretty and I've forgotten to mention, affordable! Works for me!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea they were making stoneware type plates thanks for the heads up. Having lived with family and roommates and so always have an assortment of plates, the Corelle are always used first, it's amazing what a difference like using a lighter weight plate makes.

Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

I had no idea anyone else used the "grab 5 plates at a time" dishwasher unloading method! I do all the time.

I have some Corelle I received as a gift. Not exactly the pattern I would have chosen, but I like the dishes.

Susanne said...

I've always had corelle and don't think I'll ever change except maybe the patterns. Now I have a white and your idea of mixing it with a pattern sounds very tempting!

Lori said...

Hey I am going to look through thoes. I am thinking of asking for new plates for Christmas. So they really don't break easy, huh? I have three boys and that would be a total plus!!

Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

My grandmother had Blue Cornflower ones in the 70s/early 80s. I'm sure this influenced my addiction to blue and white color combos.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I checked your links and I really like the stoneware Corelle. I have to agree with you on its durability. We've been using Corelle as our "everyday dishes" for more than 12 years and we have yet to break a plate. Since we've been so good, I think I deserve some of the new stoneware kind, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

I grew up with Corelle too, and my mom even got me a set when I got out of college and moved in my first apartment. I have forgotten how durable the stuff is. I checked out some of the links, and they have some nice new stuff! I have a set of Mikasa for everyday, but you know what - they are so big, they don't fit right in my tiny dishwasher! I was thinking of trying FiestaWare, but I may look at some of this new Corelle. That old set I had always fit good in every dishwasher I ever had, big or small. :)

Great WFMW! Have a wonderful day, and week :)

Someone Beautiful said...

Yes! I switched from stoneware to these to teach the little ones to do dishes. These are much less breakable! We got the simple white too. I love color, but they go with everything. :)

Anonymous said...

You're quite the saleperson! I've never been a fan of Corelle because I didn't like the flowery patterns (your mom's classis pattern is okay, though) and I prefer a heavier plate. I've had same set of dishes for 15 years--plain white--that I've been happy with, but after browsing the website, I am tempted by some of the funkier, modern looking sets. The square ones are super cool!