Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Haphazard Start

Okay, despite lots of thought about starting a blog, I probably shouldn't have started it up on a whim while nursing the baby, fifteen mintutes before having to leave to pick the other kids up at school. I had thought about blogging under the name Um 'Skandar or Mother of Alexander for a while but the phrase one mother's global interests came to me while I was in the middle of setting up the account AND changing a poopy diaper simultaneously, probably not the wisest thing. We'll leave the phrase in for now. Because I do spend my days nursing a baby and changing diapers AND thinking about the war in Iraq, and AIDs in Africa, and public education in the US, and the resurgence of the Taliban in Afghanistan and the Democratic Party in Texas. And the one thing that unites all the disparate threads in my life is my role as a mother. And I wouldn't be the mother that I am without all those years spent in the Middle East where I would now be known by my kunya, Um 'Skandar.

And then there's the thought that perhaps I should have used two ms in Umm, I suppose there's a shahada there in the original Arabic . . .

But hey, this is a blog. Not a doctoral dissertation, and we've already done one of those. Imperfections are part of blogging!

so here we go . . .

2 comments:

Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

I can't say I started blogging while having such deep thoughts. BUT, I did start while feeding baby K--which might explain why it took about 10 attempts to get the thing set up!

Happy blogging!

Umm 'Skandar said...

Thanks Kim! You helped inspire me to start!